Maintaining oral hygiene is very important because whatever goes into our stomach passes through the mouth. Many people avoid taking care of their gums and teeth which leads in severe dental problems like tooth decay and gum diseases in the future. To avoid such problems, it is necessary that you take utmost care of your teeth and gums. The following tips will help you.
• Brushing your teeth twice a day i.e. after waking up in the morning and before going to bed is considered to be a good habit. This removes the formation of plaque that causes damage to the teeth.
• Using a toothpaste and mouthwash containing fluoride helps to prevent cavities and tooth decay.
• Flossing must be done at least once in a day to remove any minute food particles stuck between the teeth. This prevents tooth decay and cleans all the grooves between the gaps of the teeth.
• Try to avoid drinking carbonated drinks like soda and cola like drinks. The acidic content of such drinks have corrosive effect on the teeth. Also, such acids react with the teeth and dissolve them slowly. In order to strengthen your teeth, natural fruit juices, water and milk should be consumed instead of soft drinks.
• The intake of foods high in fiber, calcium, vitamins and minerals is recommended to maintain healthy teeth and gums. Avoid foods high in sugar as it encourages the growth of plaque. Also, avoid chewing of tobacco and smoking cigarettes. They stain the teeth, weaken them and can even cause oral cancer.